- Remove any objects such as children’s toys on the front steps, which might cause accidents. Keep the front entrance and stairway clear. Try for uncluttered appearance.
- Neat orderly rooms look bigger, especially bedrooms. Tidy up all rooms for a spacious appearance.
- Check and double-check your bathroom. Bright and clean bathrooms sell many homes.
- When you are showing your home tHicks Real Estatee is a crowd. Avoid having too many people present for inspections. The prospect will feel like an intruder and will hurry through the house. If possible go out for a short walk.
- If you can’t go out, stay out of the way. Do not accompany the prospect and the sales person around the house. The Agent knows the Buyer’s requirements and can better emphasise the features of your house when alone. They will call you if they need you.
- Love me, love my dog does not apply when selling a house. Pets are best kept out of the way, even taken on a walk when there is an inspection.
- Never apologize for the appearance of your home. After all, it has been lived in. Let the real estate agent answer any objections that are raised, that is their job.
- Switch off the TV during inspections it is very distracting. Put on some mellow music that will get prospective purchasers relaxed and in the mood for buying.
- It is best not to discuss price, terms, possessions or other factors with the buyer. Refer them to the agent. Real Estate Agents are better equipped to bring the negotiation to a quick and favourable conclusion.
- You and your Real Estate Agent need to work as a team. If you feel they have overlooked some important selling points, feel free to discuss them once you are alone together.
- Sweep all the walkways to create an impression of constant maintenance to your house.
- Park extra cars, which do not fit in car parks, away from the property.
- Clean windows and window coverings.
- Make sure gutter and down pipes are clean and in working order.
- Open curtains and turn on lights so the house feels warm and bright.
- Have an air freshener in the toilet and bathroom to have a fresh, clean smell.
It is important that a home gets a buyer in the right mood to buy, all the above tips and hints will help to do this. You can also use the season to your advantage.
If it is wintertime make sure that the house is warm. It is very welcoming on a cold day and adds extra character if you have the fire burning.
If it is summer time ensure that the house is cool by using, fans, air-conditioners or opening all the windows to make the most of any breeze.
House prices are on the rise. Find out the value of your property now.
Get a free online property report from Hicks Real Estate. It takes seconds.